[WFRP 2e] Morrslieb's Shadow 39

My PC
Maximillian Morningglory, Halfling Vampire Hunter
Magnus the Pony

My companions
Udrin Sor-Valdir - High Elf Wizard
Ludovic Hasselhoff - Human Entertainer (Absent)
Durak Braksson - Dwarf

NPCs
Tegort - Ogre bodyguard
Abelhardt Mullberger - Journeyman Apprentice
Fickuld - Young Camp Follower

(Previous update)

Two days travel brought us to the outskirts of the barrens in the Howling Hills. Sleep was rough. The howling is rather persistent. Indistinct voices call out as you try to fall asleep. I'm pretty sure it was undead. Udrin told me I have an overactive imagination.

Dark clouds were rolling in when we heard fighting up ahead. We were pretty far away, but there were figures on horseback fighting shorter figures on the ground. Nobody wanted to get in the middle of a fight, so we moved cautiously forward until we could get a better look.

Tegort was the first to identify a shape. He said the figures on the ground were dwarves risen from the dead. I ordered his attack. I cannot, will not tolerate the walking dead. The figures on horseback must be friendly.

The dwarves were undead, skeletal husks. However, the mounted figures were those evil elves! Tegort went after a dwarf, but an elf charged down an intercepted him. I took he dwarf out instead with a well-placed crossbow bolt. Ludovic gallantly defended Mullberger.

Tegort punched a horse in the head. I could see that the undead were controlled by another dwarf in gleaming armor. His eyes glowed an eerie blue. The only thing worse than the living dead are those that raise and control them. I took aim and started shooting.

Around us the fighting ceased. Durak had shown up at some point in the battle and dispatched a dark elf or two. The undead dwarves had fallen. Udrin threw some kind of magic at the dwarf necromancer before Durak walked over and started speaking to the creature. My mouth fell open in shock. I couldn't tell what they were saying, but Udrin could. He joined in the conversation. I shook my head. I still had three bolts left. I raised my crossbow, and killed the necromancer. His body disappeared.

I gave a shout of triumph at my latest great for vanquished. Thunder sounded overhead, and it started to rain. I ran up to the closest ruin to build a fire. Tegort started skinning horses in the rain.

The ruin had a door in the back and young Fickuld opened it. He has a curious mind, much like my own. I would have opened the door if Tegort hadn't had me cooking horse steaks at the time. He found a sarcophagus. Inside was the burial place of the dwarf I killed outside, which Durak and Udrin are calling a wight not a necromancer. Either way, a corrupt enemy fell to my skillful aim.

I told Fickuld to be cautious back there. I had warned of undead just last night, though Udrin had ignored me.

We looked around the burial chamber and found a trap door leading downward. Durak explored it and found it opened to a small chamber with a pit in the back. Discussion ensued on whether to try the pit or keep marching overland.

Tegort called me to finish the steaks (one side was getting too well done while I was gone). Udrin told me to leave while they decided how we were to proceed.

Back out in the other room, Mullberger was studying his spells, mumbling about being out of practice. Apparently he had tried to cast some spells during the fight, though none of us noticed.

If he was having trouble, I thought he might be able to practice until we got to where we were going. I asked what kind of magic he practiced. He said that Azyr magic was about looking into the future and reading the stars. It seemed a bad night to read the stars, with all the rainclouds and all, but I suggested he might want to look into the future to see which route we should take to our goal.

He got excited, and used a liver Tegort had claimed from a horse to cast his spell. He stated that the overland route seemed promising. I thought on what I had learned about wights, especially dwarf wights and agreed with his spell. While the supposed leaders were in the other room debating how to proceed, Mullberger and I decided we'd be going overland.

Popular posts from this blog

[D&D 5e] Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden 17

The Gathering Storm Complete Play Report